Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nursing update

9 months later, we're still at it. I feel like that's quite an accomplishment, seeing as I've never made enough milk for her. 

We've basically run out of donor milk at this point. I haven't been able to find anyone new to donate, probably because most people want to donate to younger babies. It makes sense, they need the milk more than a 9 month old who's doing well eating solids. However, she still needs to be taking in quite a bit more milk than I make. 

I'd been saying that I was going to get her on raw goat's milk after we ran out of donor breast milk, but our local farmers are in the process of drying off their herd so they can breed them for the spring. They didn't have any milk available. I did a little research and came up with this recipe for goat's milk formula made from dry goat's milk powder. I ordered a bunch of the ingredients from amazon and while I was waiting for them to show up, I put her back on powdered formula; the expensive organic Earth's Best kind. We had the same congestion issue that we had when she was just a tiny squee (the first time she was on it). I had hoped that she would have grown out of it, but apparently not. She got all snotty after a few days of formula instead of breast milk. We used the formula while we were down in California for Christmas and she did ok (not too snotty), but still more snuffly than I like my tiny squee to be.

Now that we're back home and I have all the ingredients for the goat's milk formula, we're feeding a combination of goat's milk formula and Earth's Best canned formula. I've been making up 16oz of goat's milk formula most days and then we supplement with Earth's Best when we go out (it's much easier to transport) or when we've used up all the goat's milk formula and need a bottle in a hurry (like the middle of the night). We've been doing a good portion of the feeding through the Lact-aid, although both goat's milk formula and powdered formula are a lot more irritating to use with it than breast milk was. The goat's milk formula has a bunch of added oil (coconut and olive), which solidifies when it cools down. If the Lact-aid is too cold, the oils clog the tiny sucking tube and TS can't get any liquid out. The powdered formula has a tiny little strainer that has to be used inside the funnel when the formula is poured into the bags. Otherwise, the undissolved formula gets stuck in the tiny tube as well. 

I'm still planning on changing her over to raw goat's milk once it's available. That'll probably be about the same time she turns one, which is when she's supposed to be able to start drinking plain dairy products as a beverage. Since I've got all the stuff to make the formula, I'll probably keep it up until I use some of it up, but it's nice to know that we've almost made it to the point where she can drink plain cow milk. 

My current plan is to keep nursing with the Lact-aid until she self-weans. However, I keep waffling on that decision. It's sometimes hard to rationalize all the trouble that I go through to produce a few ounces of milk. I have decided that I'm going to stop taking all the herbal supplements when she turns one, though. Then she can nurse whatever milk there is there and have a Lact-aid when she wants more (before naps and at bedtime, possibly). I keep hearing stories of babies who abruptly stop nursing and never go back to it, so maybe that'll happen to us. Or maybe she'll want to keep nursing forever (I hope not). At a minimum, I'm committed to continuing to take my supplements until her birthday, then letting her nurse through the summer. I'm torn about keeping it up through next school year - it'd be nice to not have to worry about pumping while I'm at work. That's a long time away in the life of a tiny squee, though. She'll be a totally different, much larger, person by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment